Pages

January 21, 2014

Hey, By The Way, Thanks.

How often do you say "thank you?"

Do you say it to the person making your coffee, to the waitress serving you dinner, to the teacher who hands you back your test score?  How about to God?  How often do you thank Him?

Do you say it every night at dinner?
Maybe just every Thanksgiving?
When ever something really good happens to you?

 Be honest, how often do you really say "thank you?"

I'll be honest, I'm really good at saying "thank you" but I'm not good at meaning it.  I say it everyday to the girl who makes my breakfast, I say it every time someone hands me something in class, but I don't say it to God everyday. Even though he's the only reason I am here.  He's the only reason I recovered from my fevers this weekend.  He's the only reason I woke up this morning.  He's the only reason I am able to write this blog.  And yet I didn't say "thank you" when I woke up this morning.  I didn't say "thank you" when school got canceled due to snow, giving me one more day to study.  I should have.  I should never stop saying it, cause there is always something to be thankful for.

We had a guest speaker at church a few weeks ago who said something that sat heavy with me.

In response to the question; "What is God's will for me?" he said, "Say 'thank you.' Often"

That's it.  Just say "thanks." It's not hard. Or is it?

Would you say "thank you" for that really annoying coworker or classmate that you have?
Would you say "thank you" for school when you're stuck far away from your loved ones?
Would you say "thank you" for the relationships in your life that don't seem to be good for you, just them?

I didn't.  Those were things I prayed to get rid of.  But during devotions a week ago, I ran across Colossians 4:2.

"Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful."

So I did.
I prayed for my least favorite classmates, every time I saw them.
I prayed for God to help me through this quarter and thanked him for giving me this opportunity.
I prayed for those in my life that needed more attention than I did, and how I could help them.

So I was thankful.  Then I watched.

My least favorite classmates took on my load in lab so I wouldn't be late to my next class.  Without complaint.
When I was struggling with homesickness, a classmate walked up and gave me a hug, saying it was good to see me.
God showed me what an impact I had on a friend's life.  How much I helped better their days.

It was truly amazing.  So I challenge you to do that today.  Say "thanks," for something you normally wouldn't think about.  Say it and mean it.  Then step back and see what is changed by you saying that.

No comments:

Post a Comment