Pages

October 13, 2013

Just Like High School.

So you know all the typical college cliches?  The parties, the drinking, the one night stands, the skipping class, the lecture halls filled with pajama clad students, the stuffy professors?  All those things that movies, TV shows, and real life tell you that college is supposed to be like.

My college isn't.

Honestly I still feel like this is high school, and the average maturity level of most of the students (upper and lower-classmen alike) seem to support my theory.

I'm still in high school.

My parents have just shipped me off cause I'm eighteen and this is what is supposed to happen.

Now, it's not just the other students, though, they are a contributing factor.  The professors and curriculum seem to give off the same vibe.  You're still in a government regulated, standardized, super controlled work environment, with tightly rigged scheduled, and actually, sometimes less freedom then most high schools.

The differences being?  I have my own apartment, I'm not around my family, I don't have any friends, and the food kinda sucks.

And this is not just my conceited homeschool, small-town-raised brain talking.  A few classmates think the same thing.  I actually had a really nice conversation with a classmate, about this,today.  Both of us are ready to go home, we miss our families and our friends, we miss our freedom.  We both wish that our classmates took our classes more seriously, wish some of the instructors took our classes more seriously.  Wish we took more classes to keep us busy.  Wish we could just go home now.

Now keep in mind, I like school, I always have.  I like the challenge.  Things that challenge me, usually interest me.  I'm stubborn and like to make them work.  But.  That being said, I tend to get bored easily, if you aren't interesting, you aren't gonna get my attention or input.  Take my English class for example, she's a boring teacher, I have boring classmates, and the material is basic.  This is primary school stuff.  It's too easy, but I don't like the class.  Other students are dying for an easy class like that, but I'm dying to get out of it.  There is no challenge, there is nothing that makes me want to go to that class, nothing to make me work.  If I don't have to work then what's the point?

Honestly, I think high school was more demanding on me.  College (so far, I'll prolly eat my words in my fifth quarter) hasn't pushed me yet.  I'm ready to be pushed, I'm ready for high expectations that I can fall short of.  Ready to be asked to do things that pull me out of my comfort zone.  To be challenged like I've never been challenged before.  This is college.  I'm a college student.  Let's move up a level.


No comments:

Post a Comment