Pages

October 19, 2013

This Is Why I Am Here.

Fridays are my days off.  I don't have classes, I could go to tutoring, but I don't need any extra help.  I could go cook in lab from eight till noon, but there is nothing I want to cook.  Fridays I sleep in, and waste my life.  Cause I don't have the motivation to do anything else.

Motivation this past week has not been present in my life.  I feel worn out and bored with what I am doing.  I'm not challenged in school, so I begin to slack off in all aspects of my life.  From laundry, to working out, to contacting my friends back home.  I'm just getting lazy.

Thursday, my chef pulled me aside and asked me to help out with a banquet the school was throwing the next day.  Friday.  I, of course, agreed.  Being the good teacher's pet.  I wasn't even sure what I was going to have to do.  I just said, "yes."  I was actually excited to do something outside my class.  To be challenged, possibly.  To have a plan of something to do on the weekend.  

Friday arrived and I was up early, even though I didn't have to be at the banquet until 3:45, cleaned my room, did "chores", finished reading a book, skyped a friend, and was just plain productive.  Looking forward to something made me feel productive and got me to actually do things. 

So 3:45 arrived, and I was off to campus, heading in to K-2, standing in front of a chef and asking for a job.  He gave me a task, I did it, and I went back for another.  Simple stuff, preparing and garnishing small hors d'oeuvre, cleaning, then serving.  

It wasn't hard work, but it's what I like doing.  It was an atmosphere of work, not chaos.  Serving was my favorite thing for today.  I like people, at least most people, and being around people, and making them smile, and talking about food.  It was wonderful.  I found four people from Michigan today, attendees of the banquet, and started chatting about home.   They wanted to know about my schooling, how I was liking college, if I missed home, and a wide range of other topic.  When the conversation turned to politics, even though we agreed on everything, I decided it was time to head back to the kitchen and reload my platter.  They would call me by name for the rest of the day, stopping me before they left, thanking me and giving me words of encouragement.  

This is why I am here.  For days like this.  The days that pull me back to reality and remind me that its good that I'm here.  It was a good day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment